Friday, August 22, 2008

Health and Friends

This has been a big week. I will start with a health update. Met with Dr. Ian on Tuesday. This was just a check up and to get my Chemo pills for the month. He says that I am doing great! I am in my 6th cycle of chemo (Temodar) and have 6 more to go. We talked alot about how treatment will go forward. After 6 more cycles, I will be done with Chemo. I will continue to get scans every 2-3 months indefinitely. The goal again of this disease is to make it chronic so we just treat it forever. Dr. Ian described it in a great way. "The goal of my treatment is to make this disease chronic and treatable, like diabetes or heart disease. The only difference is that after 5 years of no reoccurence, Heart Disease, and Diabetes aren't considered cured...Brain Cancer is." He said that on his way out the door. When one of North America's Top Neuro Oncologists talks of hope and promise for my Brain Cancer prognosis....I tend to listen. :) So, I am Feeling Great, Loving Life, and growing healthier with every DAY!

I left Madison on Tuesday, only to pack up my Chemo Drugs and get on a plane on Wednesday for a working trip to Dallas, TX and the New Horizons International Conference.

Now, I have been involved with New Horizons internally, or as a partner for 9 or 10 years. Every year, this conference has been a summer ritual. Many of the people of New Horizons that I have met over the years have become my friends and mentors. They have helped me to grow as a leader and as a sales professional.

So when I arrived this year, I expected to see the same conference and atmosphere that I see every year. I underestimated the reach of my friend Marky P. Through his communication of my condition and journey, he has reached a huge contingent of my New Horizons friends.

The reception that I have received has been amazing! I run into people in the halls, and the outpouring of true good wishes and emotion has been tremendous. For those of you that are reading this that I have had an opportunity to see this week....THANK YOU. I can not tell you how good it feels to be here and to see good friends. It is things like this in life that makes me realize how rich my life has been and continues to be. You all give me strength!

NOW FOR ALL OF YOU AT NH.... SHOULDN'T YOU BE READING SOME RECORDS!! :)

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Or maybe you underestimated the reach of yourself and the impact you have on other people's lives!

~Val said...

All that New H energy is bound to give you a boost...better than Red Bull!

markopat said...

Steve's "reach' is quite amazing (considering he gets around on a scooter). Heh heh!

Have fun in Dallas bro...keep on livin' the dream!

Marky