Wednesday, November 11, 2009

treatment planned

Ok, so I apologize for taking so long to post, but recovery from surgery has been a little more difficult than planned. After leaving the hospital, I spent two weeks at Van Matre Rehabilitation Hospital for Physical and Occupational Therapy. They kept me hopping with 3 hours of therapy per day. It was tough, but I made it through and was released last Friday to come home! Yeah.

So yesterday we went up to visit dem smart doctors in Madison. After another MRI, by the way, I only need one more to fill up my punch card :,) had a nice lunch with Kim and then we met with Dr. Robbins, the Neuro-oncologist. Had a great talk with him and decided on a plan of attack for treatment.
Because of the type and aggressiveness of the tumor (Glioblastoma Multiforme), we chose an aggressive course of treatment. What we chose was to join another clinical trial for "Veg F Inhibitors" - a type of Chemotherapy . I will be getting IV Infusion treatment once a week in Madison. The treatment will take 4-6 hours for the first "cycle" each "cycle" is four weeks. This will continue for as long as it is working, up to 12 months and they will monitor it constantly. We are hoping to start this within the next two weeks.

Although this is not our ideal choice, it fits with our motto "It is what it is' and that we will continue to fight this disease with everything I have! So even though I am scared of the new treatment, I truly believe in my doctors and KNOW we have made the best decision possible.
On a side, yet fun note, being in the clinical trial will save my insurance company more than a Million $. Do you think I will get a thank you card from them? Me either. I will update the blog more often once the treatments start.

Thank you fo your thoughts and prayers and as always...

PEACE OUT!!

2 comments:

Skol said...

Steve- I've been praying for you every night since I saw you last. Keep recovering and keep the fight. You are one of the most determined people I know!

~Val said...

Continue to fight the good fight! Sending prayers for smooth treatments and FINE driving weather on all your trips north!