Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Good - Great - Exceptional, and SPECTACULAR

Well, I have been having a pretty great week so far. Team Talbott showed up in force for the ABTA 5K at Soldier Field on Saturday. We raised over $5500 as a team. Thank you to everyone that donated and participated. It means more to me than I can express in words. However, today was the day for my first MRI since I had the Stereotactic Radiosurgery in March. As always, my nerves were on edge and sleep was difficult to get last night.
Here is where the GREAT comes into play. I had the MRI and proceeded to the lab for blood tests and then to see doc #1 for the day... Dr. Mehta (Radiation oncologist extraordinare) he took a look at the MRI images and came in and informed us that they looked GOOD! That alone made my day...but wait it gets better. After Mehta, we went to see Dr. Ian Robins (NeuroOncologist extraordinare)we went from the waiting room to the treatment room and through the standard routine...I lost Three Pounds! Woo Hoo only 30 more to go. So we are waiting for Ian to come into the treatment room. And waiting, and waiting. Kim and I already know the MRI is good, but Ian is starting to make us nervous. He comes in and apologies for being late, but he was studying the MRI, and studying. The results? The tumor aka lesion is GONE. Totally regressed. Exceptional right? NO. Apparently there is a clinical correlation between my being on Avastin treatment (ie Chemo) and having Stereotactic Radiosurgery. The Avastin works to clean out necrosis and assists in the nuclear anhilation of the tumor! So I asked the stupid question...This is good right? He says No, This is Spectacular, and amazing. He thinks this will be the protocol for this procedure in the future! Having that crazy smart doc of mine saying the results are spectacular is one for the record books. Usually, he is real cautious on the good news, but NOT TODAY!!

So if you are following along, GOOD=clean MRI, Great=Tumor regression Exceptional = Cancer docs at a loss for words, and SPECTACULAR = Dr. Robins saying the lesion is gone and lets increase space between MRIs from every 8 weeks to every 10 weeks.

LIFE is good!

Thank you everyone for the continued prayers! They result in SPECTACULAR things.:)

If it is not to much to ask, please keep my Father in your prayers as well. He is battling inoperable liver cancer. He is fighting like the trooper and old Farm Boy that he is, but I know the power and value of your Prayers.

Thank you all!

Peace Out!

No comments: