Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A bit of a hiccup...

Someone said to me today, just when you adjust to the latest thing, another one creeps up. So is the case. As the title says, we hit a bit of a hiccup today. I got a call this morning at work that Steve was having some trouble breathing (an O2 level of 87, not what you want) and his heart was racing (add heart rate of 130 to the O2 level...ugh).
He was taken to OSF for another ER trip, for those keeping track, it was 3 weeks ago today that we were there for the fall. Tests were run etc. determination...several large blood clots in both lungs, one near his heart which led to the increased heart rate.
The plan to address the clots is to use injectable blood thinners with oral blood thinners. The goal is to stop the growth of the clots and they will eventually be reabsorbed in the body. The injections are only during the time it takes to get the clots under control with the oral meds to handled maintenance.
As of right now Steve is in NICU, that will be for "several days", I don't know what the medical definition of "several" is I guess we will find out. After that he will go to a "monitoring" floor. Then I am assuming back to the skilled care facility.
I will keep you as up to date as I am able to, as you may have noticed, I am not as on top of keeping the blog up to date as I probably should be, yet another reason why I don't "Face Book" like the cool kids.
As always, thanks in advance for all of the thoughts, prayers and just flat out love and support you keep sending our way. It is appreciated more than you know.

Peace Out,

Kim & Steve

No comments: