Thursday, December 3, 2009

Treatment SUCCESS!

Ok, so Wednesday we headed back up to the Great White North aka UW Madison. Got blood checked as usual and met with Dr. Robins. The new treatment is Avastin. It is not a "Chemo" Cancer fighting but a Cancer fighting drug that goes after the tumors ability to grow blood vessels. Without blood vessels to feed the Cancer, it Dies. Avastin has been around for awhile and has been proven to extend GBM patients life longer than Avastin with a Chemo agent together. Kim and I are happy with the choice of treatment. The first treatment was an infusion via IV over 90 minutes. It is now Sunday and I have had absolutely NO bad side effects! YAH! My schedule is set. I have to go up to Madison ever other Wednesday for an infusion, but in the future the infusion will only take 60 minutes or less. In addition, I will have MRIs every 8 weeks.

Now, for the good stuff. Kim and I are officially on our annual vacation with our good friends. Kim and I and the Schindlers and Drectrahs landed in SAN JUAN yesterday bound for Royal Carribbean "Adventure of the Seas" for 7 days of relaxation and LAUGHTER! Left Chicago 23 degrees and landed to 90 degrees. Life is Good!

PEACE

3 comments:

markopat said...

Steve has a great treatment plan and the Bears actually win a game...coincidence...I think not!

You go boy!

Have a blast this week while I CHILL (literally) in Galena the next 2 days!

Thinking of you a lot my friend!

Marky P

~Val said...

Glad you have good news! Here's more ... you are going to miss our first major winter blizzard while you are gone.

Kick back with a cocktail and mull over the 6-12" of white stuff that is forecast for northern Illinois. Yowzaaa!

Happy beaching!

Sean Gilbride said...

Steve,
I'll admit all your great news made me check your status a little less, but I wanted to check on you today and while you've had a few setbacks you sound great and just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you! Now, gotta go, have a NH quota to hit! Remember!!!! Sean Gilbride