Friday, March 21, 2008

Where do we go from here?

Ok, now this is getting ridiculous! They keep telling me that I have Cancer, but I am not sure I believe them anymore! :) I feel too damn good. :) Believe me, I am not complaining...lets hear it for the power of positive thinking and prayer!

So enough about me...Its time to take this blog discussion to a new area. In the short time that I am blessed to be on this Earth, how do I give back to others in need? The most obvious choice is by helping people that have my type of Cancer. I have noticed that Madison has a Brain Tumor Support Group that meets on a regular basis. What if I could put something like that together in Rockford? Does one exist? How do I take that up a notch and individualize it so I can actually help individuals with Brain Tumors by sharing my outlook and energy? These have been the ideas that are rolling through my head right now. I am beginning the search to find out what is already out there and where I may be able to help. If any of you have ideas, please send them to me. It needs to be something that allows me to directly share my outlook and energy with others that are suffering with Cancer, most specifically Brain Tumors.

I am full of life and full of positive energy thanks to all of you. Now is my time to pass that on to others...to Pay it Forward to use a cliche. I know I have been blessed and have had an incredibly uneventful treatment regimen, but part of that has to be Positive Attitude and Laughter. I refuse to think I am just that lucky. Those of you who have been to Vegas with me or played poker with me know that that is just not the case. :)

Throughout my 6 weeks of Radiation Treatment at UW Madison, I spent alot of time in the oncology wards and although the staff is incredible, the feeling in the waiting rooms is and was typically one of doom, gloom, or pain, especially in the chemo waiting room.

If I can take away the pain, or provide an alternate perception if even for a few minutes, of someone suffering, then it is all worth it. What better place to start than with people with Brain Tumors. I can relate to their treatments, or surgerys and I can share my positive energy and maybe even bring some smiles to their faces.

Maybe it is something as easy as volunteering for the American Cancer Society...who knows, but it is now a quest of mine. Deliverying teddy bears or games to the kids in the cancer ward...I know I could find the resources to help with that...

So, I don't know where I will go with all of this, but I am determined to find a way to give back. I am asking you all for ideas. I am open to anything as long as I can somehow see the faces of the people I am able to help.

The reason for all of this is simple and not anything grandious. I have been Blessed in so many ways throughout this journey, that I feel that I owe it to myself to give back to others.

Happy Easter Everyone!! I hope you all are able to spend time with your families this weekend.

Please share your ideas when you get a moment!!!

Some Blessings to Share from This week...
1. Running into friends at the grocery. Jerry and Jan, Jason and Katie, and Julie. It was great to see you all!
2. Spending the whole day today with Kim. Not doing anything fancy, just spending time together...a blessing in itself!
3. Getting a WII Game Console and watching Kim play the golf and boxing games...Laughing my fool head off the whole time :)
4. Spending time with Jeff talking about business issues and feeling productive.
5. Getting a call from Miss Ava - (as she was playing with Lyle's Cell Phone) :)

Peace Out!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm....ideas, comments, love,energy, hope, strength,yourself? How do you share your experience with others in the same boat? Hey, I've got a great idea, Start A Blog!!!!
Oh, wait, you have a blog.
This format is truly as good for us as it is you.
Also, if you wish to give away 'plush toys' ,as those in the industry call them, You may know someone that owns, say, an Arcade that would be able to
GIVE you bags of joy to distribute.
Something to think about.

PS - 4/19 - Doug Aurand is in. Lou is checking with the warden. Sterling is extremely busy as President of GASB so, I am checking with his people to see if he can squeeze us in.
Love Ya Bro!!
Peace, Love & Yogurt,
Swan & Kim

JacquelineMarie said...

Steve
I was once coined "a wounded healer" and I did not know how to accept that until I learned that it is a compliment of the highest kind.You, Steve,are now a wounded healer. You have been blessed to now be give the opportunity to heal those who have and will feel the same pain from the same wounds you have--Pay it forward!

~Val said...

Check out this man's journey...he has been working with the National Institute of Health and high-ups in Washington about brain cancer research/funding, and is involved in a big support group in his area...perhaps ideas for the taking??

http://www.38lemon.com/

Hope the Easter Bunny is good to you!

~Val in sunny Rockford

Mike Loven said...

Darn, I just typed a response and lost it... Here it goes again.

I don't have any ideas on what you can do for other survivors. I just wanted to share a tid bit from my perspective. I'm sure you may already realize this, but your blogging on here is good for those of us without a brain tumor too. Life is precious. There is no time to waste when it comes to showing your love for those around you. There is no amount of prayer that is too little or too much for a friend in need.
I just found your blog today thanks to a chance encounter with Steve F last weekend. After reading today I was embarassed at myself for my frustrations with my family over Easter. What a complete waste of my time to worry about such trivial things. I am going to check back frequently and read here to keep my head on straight.
So, bottom line, I just wanted you to know that your blogs help all of us. Hopefully, and it seems to be from the comments you have made, that the dialogue back from previous comments helps you too. Keep living the life you have been given and keep up the attitude that God has blessed you with. I hope I can see you at the next get together!

PS. I miss seeing you guys at IceHog games!!! It's not the same without you guys there!

JacquelineMarie said...

Steve
The sun is shining,it is finally spring 2008 in ROCKFORD, and Marengo Illinois---Keep the spirit!

markopat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
markopat said...

I think a great way to give (if your up for giving) is to come to Phoenix to play several rounds of golf against me for money. This is just off the top of my head...I'll come up with some additional thoughts for you after golfing the next couple days.

Whaddya think?

:-)

Mark

PS...Jackie...the sun is shining here as well...though it is cooling off. Only supposed to be 84 today. Enjoy your spring. :-P