Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Power of Friends

Quick Health Update

I am feeling fantastic and am actually excited for the next step. Next Thursday, April 3rd, I go back to Madison to get an MRI, meet with dem smart Doctors and start my next cycle of Chemo. I will also find out which arm of the clinical trial that I will be in. I promise to post and update you all with what I find out at that appointment. I apologize for not posting as often, but since I have felt so damn good, I have been keeping myself pretty damn busy...back to normal. I also wanted to let you know that I received some great ideas on how I can give back (from my last post) I will be utilizing some of those ideas and will let you all know what I decide to do. I am leaning towards developing some sort of annual event for survivors and families in the area.


Talking with people about my disease and how I have gotten through it prompts the same response every time...What a great group of Friends and Family you have. What an understatement!

As I celebrate the 3 month mark of recovery from my Brain Surgery today, I can't help but think about the people that have helped me get to this point. I can in no way come close to thanking everyone, but I do want to dedicate some time to some special people...As you already know, I do not believe in leaving things unsaid.

From the minute we learned of the tumor's existence through all the treatments, the trips to Madison, and through every "meltdown", Kim has been there. She is my rock, my best friend and I love her dearly and can't imagine having gone through this without her.

My Parents, from being at my side in the ER to being my driver to Madison, my Mom and Dad have been there. I believe it has brought us closer than we have ever been! I have been able to say things via this blog to my father that I have wanted to say for years, and the talks that my Mom and I had on our drives were fantastic! My Family, from my sister and brother in-law to my brother and sister in-law have been incredible. From a little gesture that meant so much... like leaving me Lance Armstrong "Livestrong" bands while I was sleeping just after surgery, to just calling to check in on me; It has meant the world to me. Thank you!


Friends- Throughout this blog, you have seen the power of my friends. I want to call a few out and personally thank them. Bear with me, but these people have helped me more than they will ever know with simple acts of kindness.


Ralph L- From early in my recovery process, Ralph reached out to me to check in on me and share his recovery experiences. We talked for a long time and he left me with such a feeling of "I CAN DO THIS", at a time that I really needed it. Ralph is who actually recruited me into the NH network. I have known him through work and respected him for years, but this experience and the sharing of his time has truly made him someone I am proud to call a friend. Thank You.


Swan and Lyle- When my wife came out of my hospital room after surgery Lyle asked her..."what can I do?" With tears in her eyes she says, Someone needs to call Swan. Without hesitation, Lyle says I will do it! Now there is a lot more to this story, but what is important is that....your gesture and the ensuing renewed friendship between you and Swan means more to me than I can ever express. You two are two of the closest friends I have and it has meant so much to be able to reconnect with both of you and bring the three of us together again after all these years! Swan- From Sunny to Rainy to Little Pink Houses, you have been there. To Both of you, the conversations that we had on our drives to Madison continue to bring me strength. Thank you for being there!


Jeff- Even the rock (KIM) needs a shoulder from time to time. You have been that shoulder. How can I thank the person who was there for my family at a time that I was unable to? From making her smile with your demented humor to helping with the dogs while I was in the hospital. These little gestures and things you did for my family while I was in the hospital are more than I could ever ask from a business partner and Friend. Our purpose in our business is to provide for our families and I can't thank you enough for providing for mine while I was unable. Thank You!


Mark P- You have all seen what an amazing person Mark is, and what he has done for me during this process. Gene L - said it best in a comment on an earlier post - Mark you are an Angel sent from Heaven to all of us. I couldn't agree more. From the minute you found out about my surgery, you jumped to action. You have been amazing...from coordinating the Talbott Support Group contact list, to keeping people updated on my status, to coordinating "A night to remember, a night I will never forget". Mark Patrick, you are an Angel sent from Heaven to us all!


As I celebrate 3 months of recovery, I have naturally spent some time recently thinking back over the last three months. I have been blessed in so many ways, from quick recovery and early release from the hospital to an incredibly uneventful Radiation and Chemo Phase I. Many people think that my attitude and outlook come from me...the reality is that I have fed off of the incredibly positive people in my life. Thank you is just not enough.



Peace Out!

2 comments:

JacquelineMarie said...

Doesn't Steves words put this life here lived daily in perspective??? Thank you Steve for being a friend to all of us-we all are learning so much with you and through you. These are the blessings that we take with us...our family and friends and the love and memories that make us feel so wonderful inside. Keep smiling!!! You've got a friend, lots and lots of them!

markopat said...

I have been called a lot of things by many people...but 'angel" has never been one of them!

LOL

I am just a friend helping a friend...you would do the exact same thing bud. (Though several DOGMA references are popping in to my mind at this point).

Love ya man!

Mark