Saturday, November 22, 2008

Perspective is everything

David Bailey is a 30 something brain tumor survivor of over 12 years, and a musical artist. I have blogged about him before, his inspiration and music has been a big part of helping me keep my attitude positive. Here are two samples of David's work...His first song, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhtHtURCIFs and a poem he recorded recently http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVW2YdbKlmE&feature=related

This week David had a serious scare. He had another 8 centimeter mass removed on Thursday. He and his mother notified his fans via email. The first one announced that he had the tumor, the second announced the surgery date, and the third one gave us the results. He came out of the surgery great and should be home by Monday.

It was a strange and sad feeling when I heard the news. I have gotten to know this man through his music, and continue to lean on his music when I am in need. Watching him go through this scare from afar after 12 years as a survivor was a little rattling to say the least.

Selfishly, I thought back to my ordeal last December, which has been bouncing around in my head, avoiding the "switch" all week. Will a tumor come back to me? Is this what my life is going to be like? Will I have to deal with this forever? If it comes back, will I be able to fight it again?

Today, he sent an email personally to his fans, and I want to share it with you... This is why he inspires, he is known as the "Hope Guy" for a reason!!

I wasn't ready for another scar
I guess none of us ever are
They seem to take too long to heal
And as they do there's too much to feel
Scars are ugly - but can be fine
They only speak of some of the time
And yet they do also suggest
The passing of another test
The worst kind of test to take
Is one that lets your spirit break

I did not expect the weeping
Bless my soul this scar's for keeping
And when you see it, know this, friend
Although it's large, it's not the end
Fall down seven times, get up eight
Even if you hesitate.

A friend told me that hope's still alive.
Enough to wipe tears from your eyes?
you better believe it.

david m. bailey11-22-08


So, if that shit ever comes back to me, will I be able to fight it...YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT I WILL. "Fall Down seven times, and get up eight, even if you hesitate!" Those words will stick with me. Thank You David.

I would love to say that I am positive every minute of every day, but that would be a lie. The fear comes in waves and hits me like a brick, but all it takes is something like reading David's poem above to snap me out of it.

It is people like him, and the thoughts and prayers of all of you that show me that Hope is still alive. With Thanksgiving approaching, it is not hard to imagine what I am thankful for. Today, I am thankful for David Bailey's continued life and inspiration! Thank you David and congratulations on a successful surgery. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

More on Thanksgiving thoughts to come this week...I have a hell of a lot to be thankful for!

Peace Out!

1 comment:

~Val said...

"Fall down seven times, get up eight"...that line struck me, too.

Sometimes inspiration and motivation come from unexpected places - and often those turn out to be the most meaningful.

A happy THANKSgiving to you and your fam!!!

~Val in snowy Rockford