Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Week 2 Off to a Great Start!

Week 2 is off and running! I was able to accomplish my mission of a "regular" weekend and even enjoy watching the Giants win the Superbowl. My cold has improved 100% and I am feeling pretty good physically. My business partner even came over and spent a couple hours updating me on how the business is going.

Throughout the weekend as I was fighting the cold, one common thought kept coming back to me over and over. The one thing I want more than anything is to feel 100% like me again and to be able to get on with living my life. To beat this disease, I need to LIVE, and not just hang out in a state of flux. So, what does that mean? To me that means ENGAGE. I do not sit back and watch very well. :) That goes from having to be an active participant in my treatments to being mentally engaged in my business. I am unfortunately unable to work during my radiation treatments due to being a sales guy who is unable to drive(Dr.s orders)...not to mention spending more than 1/2 my day up and back to Madison. :) But spending time talking and stategizing with Jeff this weekend was incredibly therapeutic.

So, what is it about work that is so therapeutic? I have always been an incredibly career focused individual. This I can blame on my Parents - They told me at an early age that I had "Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget" In other words, I always wanted the best new toy, to the best on the menu at Red Lobster. :) So, at an early age, I decided that I would go get the "Champagne Budget" :)

In that never ending quest...of which I have obtained the "Really Cheap Champagne Budget" I learned that I loved small business entrepreneurship! I eat up books by people like Verne Harnish, Patrick Lencioni, Mahan Khalsa, among many many others.

When I joined Jeff as a partner in Caveo Learning & Performance in January, 2006, it was truly a dream come true. I finally had the guts and the opportunity to make the jump to business owner, not just employee. The rush that we have had over the last 2 years has been scary, exciting, and overwhelming. We have grown 300% our first year, and 275% last year in revenue. With growth comes challenges, but throughout it all it has been a complete BLAST! 2008 is going to be an incredible year with tons of opportunities and the same amount of challenges. I am committed to being an active part of that with Jeff!

So when you read about me being fueled by engaging with Jeff on business discussions, hopefully you can understand a fraction of where it comes from. I am living my dream of entrepreneurship and am committed to not letting my clients, or my partner down!!! Having those discussions are healing my mind, if not my body as well.

The 2nd week of Radiation Treatment started with a schedule change. We started with our "circle of support" road crew (I am thinking about getting them all T-Shirts that say TEAM TALBOTT...What do you think. :) ) to shuttle me up to Madison so Kim could go back to work.

My Mom started the shuttle service and was rewarded with more crappy Northern Illinois Weather for the drive up. :) It was nice being able to spend some one on one time with my mom in addition to its therapeutic value. I managed to stay awake on the way up there, but napped on the way back. The treatment yesterday went smoothly and we had new lab work done (a weekly event). Came down with a headache on the way back, but it was handled with tylenol and a nap. The rest of the night went very well and for the first time in more than a month, I slept all the way through the night. YEAH!

Today, I got my wish FEEL LIKE ME AGAIN! From the time I got up until writing this post, I have felt awesome. Swan was my driver today and we had a great time catching up with each other and spending a couple quality hours together. We figured out a trick that can help me avoid the headaches...stop for food right after radiation...food and caffeine.. How can we go wrong? :)

Due to MORE CRAPPY WEATHER on the way tonight, Kim has decided to take tomorrow off and take me up to Madison tonight. We are going to try and avoid the weather and stay at a hotel just outside of the UW Clinics. God Bless her.

As usual, she is my rock and there for me. I may have to have one of you support drivers take me on a short excursion after radiation one day to give me the chance to get something nice for Kim for Valentine's Day...I think she has earned it. :)

Thank you all for your THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS... I truly think they are helping!!!

As Princess AVA puts it best... PEACE OUT!!

9 comments:

JacquelineMarie said...

Steve
I am not able to have my champagne as I am still searching for that perfect job, but I share the passion that you helped ignite in me at New Horizons. I am AVAILABLE to drive you to Madison--please let me help if someone else has another commitment come up---I would LOVE to drive Steve up to Madison--and YES, Kim deserves a wonderful gift for the day of love, but her best gift is sitting right next to her, appreciating and loving her Love to both of you,

Anonymous said...

Talbo
Thank You
When I first met you back at WCTC, my first impression was 'I know you'
Mind you, it was the first time we met, yet I felt an immediate connection. And when I found out you favor Bacardi, well, I probably remember about as much as you do about that! Glad you weren't a Stephanie, cause then you be a seriously visually challenged female with folical issues! (I picked 'Stephanie' because of its proximity to Steve - Your sister is much cuter than you, bro)
Seriously, I truly believe that paths cross for a reason. The universe brought us together for a purpose. I maintain that purpose is to make me look like I have a full head of hair when standing next to you! You picked a radical way to realize that purpose, but that is just the way you roll, baby! Balls Out, All The Way!
Please, no T-shirts - unless they are made of the same material as your radiation mask! Can't you just picture Lyle!
Peace, Love & Yogurt!
Swanni

Gil said...

I'm sending this post to the folks at Red Lobster, it's the first time their name and Champagne Tastes have been synonymous.

Anonymous said...

I was happy to read everything on your last post except the Giants winning the Superbowl part.

Oh well, the Pats have enough rings.

Nothing to add, but more well wishes.

Keep the good news coming!

~Val said...

Hope you made it back to snowy IL. For your next trip north, just hook up all those hounds of yours and have a mush... :-D

Seriously - hope it went well...it's hump day of week #2 already!

Jeff Carpenter said...

I'm up for the Team Talbott shirts only if they show you as the car and the rest of us as the pit crew. So a couple of guys changing the 'tires', one adding fuel and Kim on your back as the driver telling us to "Hurry the Hell up, don't you people realize that I have places to go and shopping to do!!"

Anonymous said...

I think Jeff's shirt idea is terrific!! Can you just see Kim...Jeff, wait til you see the "present" the Steph and I are sending over to her Friday. Since you started the "nickname" you should get a kick out of it. Glad to hear all is going well and even if the weather doesn't cooperate, you get room service if you stay up there!! I tried to make that work here, Kim....they laughed at me.

JacquelineMarie said...

Almost Friday---Hang in there Steve, we are all there with you in spirit!!! Keep the spirit!!!

Anonymous said...

Mr Talbott,

It's been some time since we last saw each other. I understand that things can change over time and not always for the better. But I would be willing to bet dollars to pesos that your will has only become stronger in recent weeks.
After all, any man that has the brass balls to stand in the middle of a hotel lobby fountain, dressed only in a tuxedo, and look good doing it, well that man can accomplish anything he damn well puts his mind to!

I hope this little piece of history puts a smile on that mug of yours. I just wanted to let you know that you have friends pulling for you out east.

Hang tough brother!