Thursday, February 14, 2008

WEEK THREE ALMOST IN THE BAG!!!

Tomorrow marks the 1/2 way point! WOO HOO! I have figured out a couple of "tricks of the sick" that help me deal with the minor bitches of the last post!

First trick is to listen to dem smart doctors and take the anti nausea med that I have available to me...

The Second trick- (Now don't try this at home...could be dangerous to your wasteline...) McD's Quarter Pounder with Cheese and Diet Coke right after radiation treatment. :) A much more healthy alternative is a Subway Cold Cut Combo, but I don't suggest getting it at the Subway in Edgerton, WI...the drive is treacherous in the Winter. :)

In all seriousness, I have been feeling much better since Monday! I got to spend some time with my Buddies- Swan and Lyle who each had driver duty this week. It was a blast spending time with them and Lyle and I even did some serious planning for golf season. :)

Kim and I had an amazing Valentine's Day! She took the day off, and drove me up to Madison for treatment! In honor of her, I put on actual pants. I have been wearing sweat pants just about every day and thought I would dress up to impress her, so I put on Jeans! I know, I know you are all thinking how romantic I am. :) In all seriousness, it meant alot to spend Valentines Day with Kim. I truly cherish every moment I get with her and am continuously amazed with how she has handled this life changing experience. She is my rock!

Mentally, I am doing pretty good. I have my up times and down times. These go back and forth all day long and only go negative when I start thinking too much. :) I find myself being very nostalgic. For example, I made a roadtrip CD for Lyle for us to listen too on the way up and back from Madison on Wednesday. Every song on the CD brought up memories and stories from our college days. It was a blast to talk about it. We also spent time talking about some of the sad stories of our past, specifically about a friend that we lost for senseless reasons, and a friend and mentor of both Lyle and I that lost her life to Brain Cancer. I think it was therapeutic for both of us. But honestly, the most therapeutic of all the conversations was talking about darling Ava, his beautiful daughter and someone that Kim and I love to spoil!!! Hearing one of my closest friends and the Best Man in my wedding talk about his daughter just flat out lifts my spirits no matter how I am feeling physically. We have always known that Lyle was going to be a great father, but watching him and Laura - his wife- with Ava is something that just makes you smile - and REALLY HELPS PUT LIFE IN PERSPECTIVE!!!!

Kim and I do not have children by choice, but we are blessed with nieces and nephews that we just love spending time with. ;) and as Uncle Teeb (toddler for Steve) I don't have to change any diapers. :) For Valentine's Day, Kim put special boxes together for the kids and mailed them out to them. It was a great suprise for the kids and they all got a huge kick out of it... Its stuff like that, that Kim and I truly love to do for the kids. Its fun for us and we love to see the reactions. So look out Miss Ava...won't be long and you will be receiving care packages from Aunt Kim and Uncle Teeb! :)

This Cancer experience has really helped me enjoy the little things in life. I truly appreciate ever minute with my friends and family! Its something to cherish and definitely keep in Perspective. "The Big P" something that I learned from Marky P and some of the experiences he has gone through with his youngest boy, but never truly understood until recently. Thank you Mark for unknowingly helping prepare me for this Cancer Experience with learning to keep things in "the Big P-erspective"

People have posted some unbelievably supportive comments and sent me supportive notes telling me that I am handling this in an amazing way, but I am here to tell you that this is nothing amazing...what is amazing is how you naturally handle things when you discover the amazing support group that you have, but never realized. Now that is Powerful to the Mind and the Body!

I have received comments from Alaska to Netherlands to Saudia Arabia! Continuously blows me away.

To my friend and one of the business men that I most respect, Waleed (in Saudia Arabia), Thank you so much for your notes. Hearing from you from across the ocean is truly heart warming. Thank you!

Week 3 is almost in the Bag and I am feeling great! 3 Weeks to go of radiation! Let the countdown begin!

Happy Valentines Everyone! Please cherish the time with your spouse and family - Trust me - It is always Heartwarming! Dump the Drama - Family is everything!

and for Darling Miss Ava - PEACE OUT!!! :)

6 comments:

markopat said...

That is just a great post Steve. I have to tell you that I so enjoy reading your thoughts as you are fighting this fight. Regardless of what you write...you are amazing, as is Kim. So is this great group of people that love you and want to help you get through this.

It's a whole lotta love my friend...a whole lotta love!

Noah says a prayer for you every night...believe me Steve...the power in that little man praying for you is off the charts!

Carpe' Diem my friend!

mark

AK Angel said...

Greetings, again, from the Last Frontier of Alaska ~ first, I'd like to say this might cheer the 'outside' world up, today it was 40 degs ABOVE zero in Anchorage and surrounding areas ~ and that ain't too bad... second, I'm so impressed with your 'dressed up jeans' for your lovely wife today ~ we call them "Alaskan formal"... and no matter how, or where, you spent your day 'together', you were 'together' ~ and what a special gift that is! And I pray many more 'special gifts' for you and Kim...

Anonymous said...

I always knew that you were a strong person, but I never knew just how strong until all of this began. I check your blog everyday for new posts and me and my entire family are praying for you. Tracy sends her best wishes as do my parents. I think about you and your fight all the time. If there's anything we can do for you, please let us know. Stay strong.

June Stanford
(high school friend)

~Val said...

50% done!!!

Glad you had a special "jeans-day" Valentine outing. Those moments TRULY mean so much!!!

Keep up the great outlook!!

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to those of us who have minor complaints. You inspire us to shut our mouths and realize that we are lucky to only have minor complaints. And to appreciate all that we have. And how easily we have it.

I disagree that you are not brave. You are. Very.

I like the 'hair band' look Jeff (was it?) posted. If you don't pick that one, I will.

Halfway point! I truly hope the worst is behind you.

-Stuart
(a business buddy)

Anonymous said...

Steve, I, like markopat enjoy reading your post. I have always admired your spirit and attitude. I too, believe in the power of being positive and I know you will conquer the challenge. I missed you this year in Vegas but I did play a few rolls in your honer.

God Bless,
V