Thursday, April 3, 2008

The first Post Radiation MRI Results

After 6 weeks of Radiation and Chemo, I have been on a 4 week vacation from treatment protocol to allow me time to heal. Per protocol, I had to have an MRI done today. They have been telling me all along that this MRI will more than likely not tell us alot. They actually expect to see some tumor swelling and even growth at this stage.

So, I woke up this morning around 4am overthinking the entire upcoming MRI event. Finally got out of bed around 6am and had breakfast. After a quick shower and getting ready to leave, my nerves got the better of me and I vomitted breakfast back to General Mills. What a lovely visual huh? Imagine what a great start to the day it was for me!

Once we got going, Kim and I picked up my Mom and headed North to Madison. We had a 9:30 MRI appointment which was then followed by lunch at the UW cafeteria, and then off to our appt with Dr. Ian and his coordinator Diana. So we went and had the first of two conversations with Dr. Ian.

MRI RESULTS- "No Recurrence of the tumor, secondary focus is "entirely stable!", report even shows some resolution of tumor (shrinking). The Report looks GREAT" It was the best report that we could have received. It was even better than "No Progression" ...in essence - The Radiation Worked!!!!

So, being the smart ass that I am, I jumped right in and said..."So Dr. Ian, this means I can start driving today RIGHT?" Well...after a 15 min tirade and explanation..."You do have a serious Brain Tumor, Liability, Legal thing, High risk patient, blah, blah, blah....I LOST... No Driving for me.

Now being the pouting baby that I am, what I took from the entire conversation...was just the no driving thing. From that meeting, I had to go get bloodwork done and wait for the results so they could dispense the chemo. So I sat and waited for the results of the bloodwork...totally pissed off about not winning my battle to drive. Now I understand the reason he is so strict. He is worried about being liable if he says ok. It is still incredibly frustrating considering I have never had a seizure and I am feeling so well, but I obviously don't want to take the chance of hurting someone else if I have a seizure while driving, but I was still PISSED OFF!

So being the ROCK that she is Kim says...in her own way (I am paraphrasing)..."Hey Dumbass, don't you realize what that MRI Meant...YOU TOOK A BIG STEP TOWARDS REMISSION TODAY!" You can LIVE without driving!" :)

Which of course she is right, so by the time we collected all of the chemo drugs, I finally felt the excitement of the MRI Results and had created a solution to the No Driving Thing....

He said no driving, not NO RIDING... at least with this I can only hurt myself. So don't be suprised if you see me this summer cruising my way around Marengo and my friends at Flatlanders in this hot new ride...
So in closing, it looks like I am going to be around a little longer to be a pain in the ass to my doctors! :) My Chemo will probably last 12 cycles. I take 5 days of Chemo every month at twice the dosage that I took before. I start tonight and go through Monday. I will go up to see Dr. Ian and Diana once a month for new bloodwork and picking up the next month's chemo drugs. I have some new targets that I heard Dr. Ian talking about today... Once a Survivor of a GBM makes it to the 5 year mark, he considers them cured. So, one step at a time, but I have a new goal. 5 Years!!!! Please keep up the positive thoughts and prayers, they helped me accomplish the AMAZING....a GREAT MRI REPORT after Radiation when the doctors expected it to be much worse!!!
LIFE IS GOOD!!!
PEACE OUT!!!

12 comments:

alcohol van lyle de said...

First off, what fabulous news!!! You couldn't have hoped or prayed for better results today. Laura and I (and Ava) are extremely excited and happy for you with today's outcome!

Secondly, I told you on the phone that I would also buy a "scooter" and we can ride them together if it makes you feel any better. We'll look like the dumb and dumber gang riding on the highway, but who really cares at this point. It beats walking.

Ask Swan to borrow his leather chaps, and I'll see if I can find a "Captain America" helmet for you. We'll make mopeds hip again.

Lastly, I can't thank you and Kim enough for all of your help this weekend hauling 2x4's and drywall into my basement. My arms still feel as heavy as the 3 tons of material (OK, maybe 2 tons) we hauled downstairs. Either way, it was totally unexpected for you to help, but since you're like me, and don't take "no" for an answer, I knew I couldn't stop you.

During one of our many trips down the stairs, I think I heard your tumor say something to the effect, "eff this exercise $hit...I'm outta hear". Don't worry, you can thank me later when I decide to finish the other half of the basement and the tumor has all but disappeared.

Take it easy the next 28 days and realize what the power of positive thinking has accomplished thus far. We'll keep the good vibes coming on our end and pray for even more regression next month!

Peace Out!!

~Val said...

Outstanding news!!!!

I just put FIFTY DOLLARS worth of gas in my car. Think of the $$ you are saving by not driving! (Always looking on the bright side :-) )

Now I'm waiting for the photoshopped pix of your new moped (is that what you call those things???) helmet. Can Mark put a mullet on one of those???

And think of the piloting experience you have, during earlier days of driving the carts around Woodman's...You should be ready to rock!

Joanne said...

Kim does seem to come up with the right words at the right time!
WTG - Jeff -- nice work on the moped!
And thanks, Lyle -- for working directly on the tumor!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely fantastic news! Keep it up! we all know you can beat this!! If we go golfing some time this summer i'll let you drive the cart, to get your driving "fix". And don't let me catch you on that moped because pics will b taken and possibly video for all youtube viewers to see :) -SKOL

Jeff Carpenter said...

So I take the news from Steve as a great news/super dork news situation. The thought of pending doom rising over the horizon as children, old women and woodland critters run for shelter as Steve whirring by in his tricked out Vespa sends shivers down my spine. I knew there were going to be difficult times coming as he worked his way through the recovery process, but this…this is more than anyone can handle. I am the first to say that he is aerodynamically suited for the Vespa and his personality fits the mold, but the thought of the handle tassels, basket with flowers, safety flag and the AHUUUUGA horn are more than any mans bladder can expect to handle.

So hide the children, invest in Depends and hope he doesn’t invite you for a ride…cause Steve’s getting a Vespa

markopat said...

Wear a helmet Vespa boy!

SOMEONE...ANYONE in Marngo...I need Photos of this! ROTFLMAO!
(no Photoshop necessary)

HUGE NEWS!!!! WTG on the results Steve. The power of prayer and positive thinking is working! I will let the Talbott Support Team know that their prayers are working.

Way to kick it's ass bro!

Mark

Anonymous said...

Awesome news, Steve.

Funny as hell post, Jeff.

I had a Vespa once. Those puppies can go pretty fast. And I was less 'aerodynamic' then.

*straps on his Depends and looks forward to a 'wet' Summer*

Anonymous said...

Nice work Steve - you are ever the "over-achiever"! Prayer, faith and support as well as your joy for living will continue to make you the poster child for successful recovery!

JacquelineMarie said...

Congratulations Steve!!!!!! This is wonderful news and CONGRATULATIONS, KIM--on the perfect, perfect words--I can just hear you saying that to dumbass. LOL Keep up the spirit!!!

Anonymous said...

Outstanding!!!!! Best news I have heard all week. I think my steak last week had something to do with it. Cool bike but you can not get banana yellow. You have to get black with flames or you can get white and put some cop lights on it. Then you could drive around and fuck with everyone!!! Really steve ..great news my friend. Prayers work brother and Sarah Luke and I will keep prayin!! God Bless.

Scott Sarah and Luke

Anonymous said...

Steve congrats I never would have expected less out of you - you have so much support and love behind you that you should have known that you would have great results. I hope you had a good lunch to make up for your breakfast. Dave and I leave on Sunday to go on the same cruise that you took that took you to your happy place and now it will be so much happier knowing that you are doing so good. I am so happy for you and Kim.

Anonymous said...

That is great news... I am so happy to hear everything is looking up for you... If you would like, you can always borrow my 1985 three wheeler. It is not road legal so you are not technically driving legally anyway.... I know I have a helmet with Flames on it, somewhere......

Steve... If you need anything.. I am a phone call or email a way.. Take care....