Monday, July 7, 2008

Get your things in order....CHECK!

While I was in the hospital, after surgery, we had to wait a couple days for the results of the pathology report on the tumor. One of the Hospital's inhouse Doctors, whose name I don't remember, but face I won't forget is the one who broke the news to me that I had a Grade 4 Glioblastoma Multiforme- The "Worst Kind" in his words.

He made a statement that has stuck with me and is finally 100% complete as of today! When I asked him how much time I had left, he was smart enough not to give me a specific timeline, but added that I needed to "Get my things in order", which I took to mean that I needed to get my shit together so that if I die, I don't leave a mess for my family and my business partner to unravel. The first step was getting a Will in place, which we accomplished a few months ago, and the final step was getting things documented for our business to ensure a solid transition. We finally made that happen today! It was like this HUGE rock has been lifted from my shoulders! Get Your Things In Order- CHECK!

Ok...on to the next step...Blow out the "Curve" of all these clinical trials and "Live Long and Prosper!!!". :) Live Hear, Right Now! Life is GREAT!!

Here are some of the reasons why-

1. Spent some time with my parents yesterday, and had some one on one time with my Dad that I truly enjoyed...just talking about his projects in their woods at their house.
2. Kim and I got out to play a little golf on the 4th with our brother in-law. Company was fun, my golf game sucks, but whats new.... :)
3. Kim and I didn't miss an event of the US Olympic Swimming trials, which, with both of us being former swimmers is something we really enjoyed! I figure if 41 year old Dara Torres can beat all of the younger challengers and break the American record in the 50m, then my 39yr old fat ass can beat some wimpy tumor.

As my friend Gil recently put in his blog http://gilwolchock.blogspot.com/ , "sometimes it's the little things in life that give you the greatest enjoyment". I totally agree!

On a side note, If you have a moment, log on to his blog and give him some positive thoughts...He is having some reconstructive knee surgery this week and would appreciate the positive energy as much as I do when I read your comments! Keep em coming!

Thank you and Peace Out!!

6 comments:

JacquelineMarie said...

Steve
We only get BETTER with age!!!! Life has a way of going on whether we have our things in order or not, however the serenity comes from having them in some kind of order. My mother-in-law to be is battling pancreatic cancer and we are spending every last moment with her. It is the moments that count! Hugs to you and Kim

~Val said...

Things in order - check
Not immediately needing things to be in order...priceless

Steven Talbott said...

SOOOO TRUE!!! :)

markopat said...

I agree Val!

nice post!

Joanne said...

You go, Val! Thanks -- we always need things to be in perspective!

Way2Neurotic said...

Heya...
My name is Cliff Bickle.
Not exactly sure how I found your blog...but anyway...I have an inoperable brainstem tumor dx'd in January of '08. Completed 6 weeks of radiation and just did post radiation MRI. Awaiting neurologist eval to determine course of action from here. Looking just to share info and experiences with others here in blog land. Hope your up and around soon.
I am usually online everyday, I cant drive much so I get stuck in the house alot.

Cliff Bickle
cliff_bickle@yahoo.com
http://way2neurotic.blogspot.com/