Friday, January 18, 2008

1st Treatment Scheduled

Had a tough start to the day mentally. It is my birthday, which had me a little down to begin with, then my wife gets me the most beautiful card that literally made me breakdown and cry.
In addition, I had an appointment scheduled at UW Madison today to get "fitted" for the radiation treatment, which had me anxious and a little scared. However, my day got significantly better as it went on. It started with an absolutley hilarious ecard from my friend Mark P. That was followed up by a trip to the chiropractor that really helped my back, and a stop at Flatlanders for a Coffee and chat with Rocco, Sally, and Jan.

Kim came home around 11am and we began the trek to Madison. Once we got there, I met with the Clinical Trial Coordinator who informed me that I am in the trial! Yeah! She then had to give me a cognitive battery of tests as part of the trial...My memory has always sucked but she said I did well anyway. :) I was then fitted for my "Radiation Mask" which is a mask that I wear during the radiation to ensure they target the right spots. The process was pretty simple and the radiation techs were great. They did a great job of addressing my fears and giving me a lot of good information on side effects, etc..

I am now scheduled to begin my radiation and chemo treatments 1/28/08. I will be in radiation for 5 days per week for 6 weeks and be taking oral chemo every day for 6 weeks. We then take a 4 week break to heal and then begin the Chemo Trial for 6 months. I will be able to do that from home and only have to go to Madison about once a month. That's when we kick this thing into remission and resume the rest of my LIFE!!!! As you can see, my attitude has definitely improved since meeting with the Techs. I am feeling good and looking forward to getting this process started.

As a matter of fact, Kim and I are even going out to dinner for my birthday with my business partner Jeff and his wife Mendy who have been awesome throughout this process except for his smart ass comment from the other day. :)

Have a great weekend everyone and thank you so much for the positive thoughts and prayers. They are truly helping!

2 comments:

Mary-Kay said...

Hi Steve, I've been keeping track of youur health via your mom's quilting blog and today I went over to your blog and read the whole thing. Seven years ago I had a cerebal bleed that was 1st daiagnosed as a AVM . For 3 months I thought I was to have brain sugery but after multiple MRIs it was just a "minor" bleed. Nothing like what you are going through but at least I can relate to your condition. I have no issues from my bleed. I did a lot of deep breathing/meditation to pass the time and it helps keep your blood pressure low. I am praying for your speedy recovery. Here's to you and your family. Mary-Kay

JacquelineMarie said...

Happy Happy Birthday Steve!!! I am a day late and definitely a dollar short. :) I am fighting my own fight with my son Jake having to admit him to Rosecrance again, so there are tears all around.Keep your chin up and that crazy warm smile---you are so strong and have many, many, many more birthdays to celebrate!