Friday, January 25, 2008

Tears of a Clown

The title is a pretty cheesy thought stolen from the title of an 80's Tune, but it fits my mindset today!

I went back and reviewed some of the blog entries and comments that have been posted and I was completely blown away - AGAIN. It amazes me the impact that I have had in my professional career on individuals. I have always believed that you need to treat each person with respect and motivate them individually. When I first started NH Rockford, Mark P and I spent alot of time - at a local pub of course- discussing how we wanted to motivate and build our team of employees. NH Rockford was a pretty amazing organization. We still hold records on revenue development from startup and per capita sales. All of that had to do with the team that we built. As Marky P puts it, it was the first organization that any of us have been involved in that truly had everyone rowing the boat in the same direction. :)

The thing that really stuck with me today was a post from MJ Wilcox, one of the best instructors that I have ever worked with. I can't seem to get it out of my mind today, so I will share it with all of you.

mjwilcox said...
Steve, I remember clearly the day at New Horizons that I failed my first (and only) Microsoft exam. I remembering walking into your office feeling like I had been defeated, but when I walked out I felt like I could conquer the world. Your encouraging words gave me confidence that has stayed with me, and I haven't failed a single test since that day. You had such a positive effect on me and gave me the confidence to know that I would succeed with whatever challenge I was faced. Put simply, you believed in me. I see this positive and inspirational attitude being returned to you a hundred times over. You have a large circle of friends who are here to support you, walk with you during this journey, and believe in YOU. You are in my thoughts and prayers often.

To even think that I have had the ability to touch people like that makes everything that I have done in my life worthwhile. It makes the fight that I am facing now worth it. In reading the book by Lance Armstrong that I mentioned in an earlier post, he says something that originally floored me "Given a choice between cancer and winning the Tour de France, I'd choose the cancer. What I mean is that I wouldn't have learned all I did if I hadn't had to contend with the cancer. " - Lance Armstrong "It's Not About the Bike, My Journey Back to Life"

After thinking about MJs post and the mental review of what I have done in my life and what I still plan to do, I finally understand. My forthcoming battle with cancer has forced me to appreciate the outstanding life that I have led, and more importantly have left to lead. From my professional life and the individuals that I have helped grow their careers to the lifelong friends I have made, to the family that I am so thankful for, to my wife who is my life and keeps me going every day!

With that in mind, I have a big thank you that I want to share. This is for my Father- Bill. He adopted my sister and I after marrying my Mom when I was around 12-13 yrs old. I was a little shit of a preteen at that time and he was firm with me. This I can promise you. If it wasn't for him, I would have never gone to college, finished college, or gotten my Masters Degree. In other words, I owe much of my professional career to him for the way he raised me and I will forever be thankful to him for that. I have never been able to express that to him verbally, but I truly hope he knows it. Dad, Now that the jello that was my brain when I was 13 has been removed, I am able to understand the value of what you gave me. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! :)

It goes without saying that the rest of my family has had a huge impact on me as well, such as my Mom who has laughed with me, cryed with me, and slapped me upside the head helping me get my head out of my ass. :) I have always had a special relationship with her and it has carried me through so many key events in my life. My brother Kevin who helped me so much as a teen understand what the hell my Dad meant with some of his punishments (the jello was definitely in the way at that time) to giving me someone to look up to and push me to achieve more. To my sister who put up with me mercilessly torturing her while I babysat her and who now I am so proud of the woman and mother that she has become. Thank you and I love you all.

I apologize for the sentimental post today, but between MJs post and the Armstrong book, I have spent alot of time thinking about my life. I can promise you this. I am more committed than ever to doing everything within my power to survive this battle!

They tell me tears are cleansing...after this, I should be pretty well cleaned out. :)

7 comments:

Mary said...

Steve it’s so hard to find the right words to express how much you mean to me, but then I realized…there is no way I could. Given how much of a perfectionist I am (still in the recovery program), I was waiting to post a comment until what I wanted to say was perfect…and then it hit me…that would be impossible!!!! There is no way to capture just how much you mean to me and the impact you have had on my life. From our dive talks, two balls, company meetings (where we both are crying), conference, down to the everyday banter…there are countless ways you changed who I am. To this day, if I need an opinion on what to do with my life, you are one of the first people I count on. You always have good advice and that much needed extra kick in the ass I may need to see the light. You were such a positive influence you actually made me believe that NH was the best place to be even at the darkest of times. I remember having to layoff the sweetest receptionist and immediately afterwards you let me go in your office and sob like a baby. You gave me the strength to do what needed to be done, but then the compassion and support afterward. I know that fight and being the forever optimist will carry you through this!!! I Love you with all my heart and feel truly blessed to not only work with you, but to call you my friend.

Love to you and Kim,

Mary Wheet

Joanne said...

And we are so very proud of the man you have become. As they say, "stick around, the best is yet to be."
We love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Steve, you have always inspired people - I worked with you at Dickey's watch your grow ITS and saw you soar at New Horizons. Cancer is just a bump in your road. You will win your battel and come back better than ever. I to have had a wonderful experience with UW Madison and you will not find more caring individuals.
Julie

PS miss you at hockey

Dawn said...

Steve, I too have been one of the lucky ones to be inspired by you. You were my mentor from Alpine Bank, to ITS, and NH Rockford. You have been their for me during the good times and bad. I have learned a lot from you and you are one of biggest influences I had on my career. You were always there for me when I needed you, just know that I am here whenever you and Kim need me. Even if it's to share a pitcher of rubber chickens. Kim, can you change the color though?

Carolyn said...

Steve, I don't know you and only know your mom through her blog. What a beautiful tribute you have paid to her and your step father. You sound like a strong, fine young man and I'm looking forward to the day when your mom posts that you have beaten this cancer. I'm praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Steve I would like to say that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I have never met a man more determined and with more motivation than you. You are someone that everyone should look up to when it comes to DRIVE and SUCCESS! I truly want to thank you for giving me my first job out of college and believing in me, and I believe in you beating the utter crap out of this disease. -Junior OPS Skolrood

markopat said...

Ok...this one time...at band camp...

Steve...you truly inspired me to drink more than I should have on those days when you were inspiring everyone else, and not focusing on delivering all the training we sold. Now I understand what the hell you were really doing. :-)

Slacker...

Mark