Sunday, January 27, 2008

Anticipation...

This title sounds like that Ketchup commercial from years ago. My Anticipation today is that I finally begin my journey of treatment tomorrow morning.

I am suprisingly calm and relaxed about the treatment beginning. I have had a great weekend. Kim and I spent this morning with my family which was great and ended the day having dinner with our friends Craig and Sue, which was a blast as well.

My last post was about cleansing tears and saying some things that needed to be said, but I am finding that Laughter is even better therapy. What sent me down this route of thinking is of course Marky P. If you read the comment by Marky P on my last post, you would think that all we did was drink at Franchescos and we really didn't work that hard during our NH Rockford days, but the truth was, we worked 60 hour weeks and only went to Franny's 5-6 nights per week. :) Between the marketing & business planning that we did on cocktail napkins and the stress relieving laughing we did, we made it through some pretty amazing times! I can always count on Mark for keeping things in perspective and always keeping me laughing...One Time at band camp... :)

If you are running short on laughs, ask Mark to tell you either one of the two most classics jokes every played on a sales guy...Mr. Junior Ops. They are absolute classics and are guaranteed to get you laughing... "The Fake Check", and "The Penny in the Urinal". If I thought I could do them justice, I would attempt to tell them here, but I have no talent in that arena and won't even try. :) but I promise you that even thinking about them today has me laughing!!

As for my current business, my partner Jeff also has a knack for making me laugh. He keeps me laughing on a constant basis. Again, for a sample, ask him to see Jake Mako - the interactive flash cartoon he created about a demented landshark.

For the scariest of comedic collisions, put Jeff and Mark together to write comic articles for our fantasy football league- The SmackTalkers. They definitely live up to the league name and keep us all laughing throughout the season! However, BE VERY AFRAID OF WHAT THEY CAN DO WITH PHOTOSHOP!!!

Most of the time, the best laughs come from the simplest things in life...family. For an immediate and quick laugh, all I need to do is hear the latest tales about my youngest nieces and nephews. The stories are always something that makes me smile and consistently brightens my day! I need to start writing some of these stories down so that I can bring them up at the kids 16th bday parties in several years and do my official job as an uncle and embarass the kids!

So, that is the latest on my therapy regime. I think laughter is truly going to be a great way to carry me through the next 6 weeks of radiation and chemo. I am blessed to have so much around me that keeps me smiling and laughing. Don't be suprised if the next time you see me, I am wearing the hat that Kim has already picked out for me. "I have ChemoBrain, What's YOUR EXCUSE? :) As 13 month old Miss Ava puts it... PEACE OUT!! :)

9 comments:

markopat said...

Great post and I will be thinking of you all day tomorrow bro!

Someday soon when we can gather the troops, I will tell the Fake Check and Penny in the Urinal stories...possibly my two favorite work moments ever.

In the meantime, no need for a hat bro...I will be photoshopping every SWEET MULLET I can find on to your business suit picture and e-mailing them out to the gang!

LOVE YOU MAN!

mark

Gil said...

I won't even try to follow the 'human bowling ball' in the joke dept :)


Llena and I are with you my friend.

~Val said...

I think I just felt the aura of your auto cruisin' by on I-90 on your way to Madison. Hope all went well and the reality of getting started gives you some peace. Thinking of you and cheering you on!!

Anonymous said...

Usually right about now your wife and I would be making plans for lunch. The sad thing is the amount of time we spend when we really only go to three places. It's either the rueben at the King's Table, the rueben at Mary's Market, or chicken almond salad at the Olympic. My guess is Kim would say it's a rueben kind of day.

I have to tell you that you have a remarkable wife. Her strenght and devotion is amazing. If you are anywhere near the fighter she is, this cancer stuff doesn't even have a whimpering chance. To be on the safe side I think you should both wear one of her super hero capes.

To make things better, I'll send my Super SPED Girl powers to team up with Kim's Super SPED Woman powers. Nothing can defeat the powers of Super SPED Woman and her sidekick Super SPED Girl.

We're all rooting for you from the crazy 3rd floor at the BOE.

P.S. be impressed this is the first time I've ever blogged. There's a good chance I'll shut down the system.

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers and thoughts, Steve. Fight the good fight my friend!

Steve said...

I can still picture "the check" hanging on Jr. Ops wall. Great memory.

I'm not always good at remembering dates, (ask Val about me remembering her birthday), but I hadn't forgotten today was the beginning of your treatment. Best of luck....

Steve Foor

Anonymous said...

Steve, Finally got this blog address from Julie McGary so I could drop a line. If anyone that I know is stubborn enough to win ""another battle"" it is you. I will check on you daily and write when I can. Miss you both at the HOGS games.
SCRIBBY

Anonymous said...

I must say, being the "butt" of those two jokes, just made me laugh uncontrollably just now. oh the memories. Glad to hear you're doing good, keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Steve, and Kim
You continue to inspire us thru your courage and positive attitude. We are thinking of you steve on the other side of the ocean, and you are in our prayers.
Alwaleed aldryaan