Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Healing has begun!


Ok...here is a pic as of this morning of my surgery scar. As you can see, you can hardly tell that a little over 3 weeks ago, they removed a 3" tumor from my temporal lobe.

It just blows me away how quickly this has healed! I figure that if I can heal this quickly from a 12 hour surgery, that I can definitely handle this Radiation and Chemo stuff!!

Just a quick note, one of the side effects of the radiation is that I will lose my hair. Keep in mind, I haven't started the radiation yet. :) That would be the side effect that I am least worried about. Kojak, here I come! :)

As life has begun to return to normal and the waiting game has begun for my treatment (starts 1/28) I have been thinking about what normal life was like. My mind immediately jumps to two areas, one is getting back to work, which keeps me challenged and the other is the vacation that Kim and I were on 2 weeks before this all happened. We went on a cruise with 3 other couples. Our longtime hockey friends and us went on a 7 day cruise to the Southern Carribean. It was an amazing vacation. We went to Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas/St. Johns. We snorkeled at one of the most beautiful places in the world, Trunk Bay, St. Johns, in addition to Aruba. Kim was able to make a new friend Sandra at her new favorite jewelry store in St. Maarten, and we spent a week constantly laughing with our great friends. Before the trip, I got a new digital camera. I took 138 pictures and have about 4 good ones. :) I am not a strong photographer.

I am sharing some of these pictures for a couple reasons. 1. They truly make me remember great times, and 2. I thought you all might enjoy something other than my scar. :)



My wife, Kim looking stunning (as usual) on one of the formal nights on the ship. Just one more time, this woman has been absolutely amazing throughout this entire ordeal. Between her, my family, and my friends, I am truly the luckiest guy in the world.










The Sunset as the ship leaves Aruba. WOW! Not a bad pic for a hack of a wanna be photographer. :)













The wanna-be photographer, studying hard!!!















The entire crew enjoying the beach at Curacao! Thank you guys so much. Remembering the laughs and the good times of this trip keeps me going. Not to mention, that Kim and I have to go back to visit her new jeweler friend in St. Maarten!!! I vote for a return trip in late 2008 after I have kicked this cancer crap into remission!






Here is the last pic I will force upon you. :) This is truly the best pic I took during the entire trip and is what I believe to be one of the most beautiful places in the world! It is Trunk Bay on St. Johns U.S.V.I. It is an amazing place and is now the background on all of my computers. I hope you enjoy! Thanks for listening/reading my babble today!






8 comments:

Joanne said...

Cool scar picture! Oh, yeah, the other ones aren't bad either!

~Val said...

Great pics! Your scar (what scar?) looks great...your desk...not so much.

BUT, who cares if you can look across the desk and see that (digital) Caribbean view? Beats the heck out of snow & ice!!

markopat said...

OMG...Your head looks even better than it did before the surgery! HA

GREAT vacation pictures!

Thanks for sharing Steve.

Mark

Steve said...

Trunk Bay is truely a beautiful place. Nancy and I got married just north of there on Jost Van Dyke on the beach in front of the Soggy Dollar Bar. We sailed to Trunk Bay that week and snorkeled. I'm jeleous, wish I was there now.
Here's a link to a map that shows the islands in that area. www.virginislandmap.com

Hey buddy, you and I were never too far from the Michael Jordon look...just think how much money you'll save on haircuts.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Hang in there.

You're fellow Parrotthead, Steve

Anonymous said...

Yes, Steve, Kim did look "stunning" in the picture, but come on---you are creating a monster!!! She is going to drive us all crazy!! Remember how she likes to mimic Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality??? "You think I'm gorgeous....." Ha! I love your blog. Just got the link on Monday and I check it everyday. Heidi and Jamie are reading it, too. Send us a postcard from your trip 12/08 when you celebrate the success of your treatment.
Sue M.

Dawn said...

I can't believe how fast that scar disappeared. Let's hope you heal just as fast. Wonderful pics and Kim always looks great.

Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Gil said...

I was going to upload our shot from the Carlos n' Pepe's in Cancun but it doesn't look like I can do that.

It would have been a fun compare and contrast over 7 years :)

Parker2 said...

This is truly the best pic you took during the whole journey and is what I believe to be one of the most wonderful locations in the world.

virginia beach to new york bus